Monday, September 1, 2008

Worst Weekend Yet

Oh my gosh!! This was the worst weekend of the summer. And what makes it even worse yet, I even set up means by which to bail, more than one let me add, had other plans to insure that I had something else going on, and I still went through with the original plans even though all signs pointed to DON'T.

So now you're wondering what could have possibly happened. Well I'll be brief with this one since I have already had to tell this story to about 10 people. So the "MaGirl" invites me to go to the dunes for the weekend. That's d be fun I think, just kicking it and playing around on quads, and hanging out with a cool girl. So I never did truly commit to the activity. The committing didn't come by ways of commission, but rather omission. How did I do that? Well when you ask about departure times, bunking situations, food/gas contributions, and by never saying that I would "think about it and get back to you." So I let the assumption be made that I'd go. So what does that mean for me: cancel your date with Haley on Saturday night, in which I was going to double up with Mike and his girlfriend. You see they had set me up with Haley. And here's a quick side note, they still went out, Haley took some guy that she didn't really care for and Mike said that they all had a good time, with Haley mentioning that she'd rather of been out with me and not the schmuck she was with. Haha. I just shake my head and sigh with a smile thinking, "I've learned my lesson; follow your freakin' rules Alex." Oh the following post after this will add on to that, so keep on reading.

So I won't get into details but I'll tell you why this weekend, the last weekend of the summer, was the worst of them all. So "MaGirl", the one that asked me out to the dunes, just happened to have cloud of disenchantment about her the whole time out there. Ever since we woke up on Saturday morning she just was different and it sucked. "MaGirl" was rude, not talkative, harsh, and crabby. I tried to be accommodating to her and just chat with her and try to cheer her up, but she'd just shrug that off. So she, the one that invited me out there, pretty much didn't even socialize with me or acknowledge that I was there. What the crap are you supposed to do when the person that brings you out there just ignores you the whole time. That doesn't make much sense. And things didn't get better the rest of the time: what the crap am I to do when the girl you come with ignores you, you didn't drive, and you're just meeting the rest of the group for the first time? At one point I left with a quad to drive out to a place that I could get reception and it was a good time. I texted/called all of my buddies that told me to not go and told them that they were right. Finally I am actually socializing with someone. Man you would of thought the one that brought me out would have done that. So my first escape was nice.

I do have some thoughts on why she was like this from a conversation that actually occurred with her on Saturday night when we took a walk. So what I gather is that she had just very recently separated with her last relationship, a very long-term committed relationship, like probably right before I met her. So she had that on her mind (Oh now this has some influences that play out in the following post). So now here I am with her at a place/activity that she has done with her ex probably 3 times a year for the past couple of years, surrounded by the same people she always does it with, and she's probably just thinking about her ex and separating with him. She said to me at one point, "I just think that I can't make that big of a change in my life right now" in reference to going out with me. Um, I think that she was looking into something with me a little too hard, too fast, and too soon. Wow.

Other than that conversation, I don't think that she said more than 50 words to me all day.

Sunday didn't get any better. She was crabby, tired, and most likely now has a broken hand from stupidly putting it out of the roll cage when we tipped while out with her bro-in-law in a Rhino. So it didn't get better. The best part of this day, other than leaving, was taking a trip out to get cell phone reception and making plans for Monday, and the rest of the week.

The drive back: now that was peaceful and quite. There wasn't one word said once we got into the car. The first word that was said was when I fielded a phone call from a buddy. Luckily, he and I still both speak Thai and we had a conversation detailing how awesome the weekend was, without the "MaGirl" knowing exactly what was said. And then my mother calls to give me a girl's phone number. That made me laugh. Thank goodness for the iPhone and being able to receive my email directly on my phone. Haha. Wow.

So as I get my stuff out of her car into mine as fast as I could, trying not to get too wet in the rain, I just felt so elated. It was done. As I checked her car one last time for stuff, I was right about to give her some more money to even out the food/gas contribution, but something just held my hand back. I don't know if it was her attitude, my anxiety to get out of there, her anxiety to get out of there, bitterness from the "great" time with her, or my premonition that she'd just stubbornly throw it back.

It is now over. Time to drive home and actually get some sleep.

HIGHLITES
I will say that I did have some fun. The first notable came when we went out on group rides in the Rhinos. So 12 of us went out with 4 to a Rhino and just had a blast romping through the dunes. Adam was driving ours and he's a really fun, crazy, experienced rider on every sort of recreation vehicle at the dunes. We were flying through the dunes at midnight, getting air, taking crazy corners, hitting drops, climbing sand razorbacks, just having a blast. We did have one tip when Adam backed down a wall that he couldn't climb, and backed the left rear of the Rhino over a sand ridge. We sat there for a moment wondering if we'd tip or just stay. Then the world's slowest tip over happened. I mean we could have made a burger and eaten it before we went down. This is where the "MaGirl" stupidly put her hand on the outside of the roll cage and got it pinned/smashed against the ground (Not so much a highlite). We all bailed out of our seat belts and grabbed the cage to lift it off her. We didn't know what was pinned under the cage and thought it was a leg. Well that put a somber mood on the rest of the night/ride down.

Watching Adam drag race his quad up the face of the dunes and just destroy everyone. He surely had the fastest quad there. The man's put so much time, effort, and money into it.

The other highlite was just BSing with Adam and J.J. when all the ladies went out for a ride. Man there were some funny stories told.

The last highlite was finally taking off, and a day early at that. I'm home.

1 comment:

Marek said...

"MaGirl" sounds like a winner...?!