Monday, September 1, 2008

Stick to Your Freakin' Rules

Ok so I placed this post here after the weekend write up so that you'd already know the reason behind my new rule and the rules I should have stuck with.

Here are the rules that I should have stayed true to:

Dating Rule #1:
Thou shall not date divorced women.*
  • There's just way too much baggage that is associated with that situation. I don't want that on my plate.
  • Ok well there is the * present. I'm not doing a complete blanket on divorced women. If I know the background behind it, and it's not crazy and all that, I'll consider it.
Dating Rule #2:
Thou shall not date women with children.
  • So there is just too much crap that you have to deal with. It seems at first you just go out without acknowledging the child situation so that you can get to know each other. Well you have to view her in two different lights: her out with you and her with her child. Not fun and adds more to the equation.
  • Plus I have had a girl kind of use her child as "leverage." This girl would tell me that her daughter was asking about me all day, wondering when I'd come over next or she'd say that her daughter wanted to talk to me and hand her the phone during a call. Not cool.
Dating Rule #4: This is the new one. Yes I know that I skipped #3, but it's not pertinant to this post.
Thou shall not date women that have just ended a long-term relationship.
  • This is going down as the "MaGirl" rule.
  • If I would have known how recent her break up was, like a week or two before I met her, I would not have gotten her number and taken her out.
  • So for now I have put a standard of, let's say, 3 months of being single after a very committed relationship before I'll take them out.
Dating Rule #5: This is also a new rule. This came to me after I initially finished this post.
Thou shall not go out to an activity with the parents/family until after 4 or, preferably, more dates.
  • This is now the "Baggage"-"Roo"-"MaGirl" Rule.
  • This came to me as I realized with the last 3 girls that I went out with/dated, I did something with their family on the second or third date.These all ended up weird/awkward eventually (drama, drama, drama).
  • I am now staying away from situations in which the girl is more than ready for me to be around their family when I/we don't really even know each other yet.

So you might be asking why I have these rules. Well Utah is a very messed up place. Everyone seems to have been married before (or really looking to be), now divorced, might have a kid, and just bringing the baggage by the boat load. Most of the women in Ogden that are my age and single are most likely divorced. To find women that do what I do, have the same desires and life goals, and aren't divorced with a crap ton of baggage, Alex will have to move down to Salt Lake City.

Hopefully I will find a job down there then be able to make my move soon after. Hey I'll be closer to the better skiing areas. The wheels for this are already in motion. Once the job comes, the roommates and move are already in a holding pattern, and be easily set in motion. Now I just need that miracle of getting a new job to come through.

2 comments:

Liv said...

The closer you get to Happy Valley, the worse the girls get. Good luck!

Marek said...

Hmmm. Not ALL girls are emotional tugboats. But, if you need a place to stay in SLC, my pal is renting out her condo and it's a great place! :)