Sunday, August 17, 2008

Disappointing Weekend

Do you ever get one of those disappointing weekends? You know, one which starts out having a lot of plans, activities, hopes, and expectations, that eventually turns into blah. That's what happened over the past three days.

Let's start out on Friday. I went up to Idaho to meet up with a group of people. The plan was to stay up on the Snake river and just mess around for a couple of nights. Because of work, I didn't go up till Friday morning. So this brings us to the first part of the disappointment. I didn't know until I was halfway to the meeting spot that it was 150 miles away. Good thing that I just happened to dump $60 in my tank, and that I would be using 3/4 of it for the round trip over 24 hours. So I get to our place, see that everyone is out on the river, and decide to put up my tent. Well at least I got a good nap once that was done. The next disappointment came as I noticed some people that were supposed to be there had bailed. Okay so really that's not too big of a disappointment, but it added to being there with some people I really didn't care for. There happened to be more than a hand full of people I didn't care for: they just weren't my type of people.

So Saturday morning rolls around and I am pretty quick to pack up camp and head home. The whole drive home I am thinking about what I am going to do before hockey. Oh yes beloved hockey: beautiful, powerful, aggressive, energy consuming hockey. I get there a little late, about 8:00 for an 8:15 start time, and right when I get there, this stupid, selfish, disjointed waste of space, decides to call the ice time, stating that there wasn't the minimum amount of people required to be there. Apparently her Utah public school education hasn't allowed her the faculty to count to 10! If she would have bothered to raise one of her fingers for every person that was there and signed up, she would have quickly realized that she didn't have enough digits to account for every individual present. And she wouldn't even reason with us! So this really starts the aggression and aggravation within me. This was supposed to be the culmination of my weekend, and now it's gone. And to think I planned a date for Sunday night because hockey just happens to come first. Now don't I feel stupid that I didn't plan that date for Saturday night.

On to Sunday and the date. So I planned to meet up with this attractive 27 year old brunette, we'll call her the "MaGirl, down in Salt Lake City at 5:30. I meet her the previous Saturday while down in SLC enjoying the Outdoor Retailer Show and festivities. I had chatted with her a couple of times during the week and we decided to make plans for the weekend. Well about 3:30 I received a text:

"Hey you! I am so sorry I am going to have to postpone dinner. I have not been feeling well all day. I hoped to be better by now, but I am not. I am so sorry."

Well that's just great now isn't it! So I don't even get the decency of a phone call? Just splendid. Granted, she could actually be under the weather and out of it, hence no phone call, but I'm going to go with my first impression on this one. I didn't reply to the text message and shortly received another from her seeing if I had got the first one. That's when the "did I really expect anything to go as planned this weekend" thought came into mind. I'll be extremely surprised if she gets back to me on the dinner raincheck. On the bright side, it did save me from a drive down to Salt Lake City.

Here's to a beautifully disappointing weekend: Adieu.

No comments: