Friday, August 1, 2008

First Comes Love.... Then Comes That "Certain" Commitment

Yes I will finally come out with it. I have fallen in love. Okay I know that three weeks is really fast, but when you know, you really do know. Plus doing something 3 or 4 days of each week really helps you get in touch and get to know what you need to know. My mother said one day I would be just floored and taken completely by surprise, becoming completely smitten. She said this probably because I have tendencies to blow girls off to go skiing, climbing, or do whatever I want to do. I guess she was right. It is a match made in heaven.

You know that feeling, when you think about your love all day? It's a distraction but a good one. You become so consumed and only want to do one thing: be with your love. You count down the hours and the minutes until it's time to meet up. You're constantly smiling. And it's that genuine smile, one that is also done through your eyes. People all around you can tell something is up. You do your best and want everything to be done for and because of your love. You don't care what other people are saying, doing, or thinking, because you are in love. You sacrifice time and stay up later, get up earlier, and try and get out of work quicker. You feel happy with life, work doesn't seem so bad, that idiot that cut you off on the highway doesn't even phase you, you're somewhat scatter brained and giddy all the time.

So I was thinking, "now that I am in love, I probably should show my commitment to my love." That brings us to that commitment that I don't say by name. But we all know that this commitment starts with a purchase of something meaningful. You know I talked to a lot of people asking them how I should go about with this: what style I should buy; what level; what size, how big; what color I should get; should I go with traditional or stylish? All these things were going through my mind for the last two weeks. I finally just made my mind up the other day. This is what I decided on (scroll down).


























That's right, I have fallen in love with hockey. I hope none of you actually thought I had fallen in love with some girl. HA!! Remember who's writing this. I am letting it really take over my life right now. It's a good fit too. I have wanted to play hockey ever since I was 11 years old. I had bought all of the equipment and really wanted to play bad but when my mother and I talked to the youth hockey coach, we found out that the price for the season ice time was $530. There was no way that my mother could afford that and she wasn't able to do that for me. Growing up my mother did anything and everything possible to assist me in my sports pursuit, but this was the first thing that she had to back away from. I know that it made her sad seeing me sad and disappointed because my childhood dream was out of reach and impossible to do. I know that it was a really hard thing for my mother to tell me that I couldn't do it, but that's fine.

Life has a funny way of having our dreams come true. It only took fifteen years, but I now am living my childhood dream. I play every Monday, Wednesday night, Thursday morning before work, and alternating Fridays and Saturdays. I owe it to Gas Can Dan for getting me into it. He started playing again and happened to have both a goalie and a player set up. Since he was wanting to just play goalie, he invited me to go play with him, and gave me all of his gear to use. Luckily I had gotten a brand new $300 pair of skates free from my buddy Justin the week before. They were going to just drop them off at D.I. (Goodwill) and decided to give them to me.

Dan and I both really turned up our game this last week. He's knocked off a lot of rust and I finally started to pick up on puck handling. It's really cool to have people ask me where I played in high school and to see their expression when I tell them that I have only been playing for three weeks. I know that I'm not that good but it'll come with time. So here are some pics from our last drop-in game on Wednesday night. Dan's girlfriend was kind enough to take them. She took them from far away in not so great lighting, so they're not the best of quality. I'll get some better ones in the next coming weeks.

Getting back on defense



Stealing a pass across the goal



Getting ready to take a wrist shot



Back on defense again



Dan and me taking a breather


5 comments:

AshleyCD said...

Hahaha. Randomly looking through blogs and found your recent post. Was starting to think of my husband and how I have all of those feelings of love...happy someone else found it...then...
scrolled
.
.
.
.
.
down
.
.
.
.
.
HAHAHA! You're quite funny! I couldn't help but laugh:)

Kay. said...

Oh my! I agree with Ashley..I totally came upon your blog on accident. I laughed out loud when I scrolled down, no joke! Very cute.

Unknown said...

So you can count me in with the rest of them. I was totally fooled. I laughed so loud that my husband ran into the room and asked me what was up.

You are so freakin goofy.

It was awesome, though. You do realize, though, that when you do fall in love with a girl and post it that we are all going to be expecting some type of sport or something of that nature to follow the falling in love part, lol. That's great.

I give you a high five on a good joke. You got me.

Liv said...

You can't fool me!! But very nice try. Very creative.

I'm going to laugh my face off when you do fall in love simply because you make such a big stink about it.

But I'll still be happy for you amidst all the laughing.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.